Friday, August 6, 2010

i have been reading the book, " the praying life." great book. here are some thoughts directly from the book:

"anxiety separates us and i think anxiety is a god like substance that lacks God like power, wisdom, or knowledge. A godlike substance without godlike abilities is pure tension. Anxiety is self on its own and it tries to get control and makes you unable to relax in the face of chaos. once one problem is solved, another one arises.

it took god to show us not to be godlike. Jesus instead of seeking Independence sought dependence on God. He humbled himself to the cross and broght anxiety on himself so we could be free of it. no longer do we have to be little gods seeking to control everything, instead we cling to our father in the face of chaos by continuously praying. Because we don't have to be in control, we cry out for grace.

psalm 131
1 My heart is not proud, O LORD,
my eyes are not haughty;
I do not concern myself with great matters
or things too wonderful for me.

2 But I have stilled and quieted my soul;
like a weaned child with its mother,
like a weaned child is my soul within me.

3 O Israel, put your hope in the LORD
both now and forevermore.

we become anxious when we take a godlike stance, occupying ourselves with things too great for ourselves. we return to sanity by becoming like little children , resting in our mothers.

No comments: